Clean chemistry systems
During trace and ultra-trace elemental analysis a number of external factors (such as reagent purity, cross contamination, etc.) that can critically impact the quality of the results. The inability to control the analytical blank (its chemical composition, its measurement, its effective control) is often the primary source of error and the limiting factor for trace analysis. Milestone has developed an innovative and complete line of systems and accessories for control and reduction of the analytical blank in ICP-MS, ICP-AES and GFAA. These instruments are dedicated to acid purification, ultratrace cleaning of vessels and reduction of contamination from vessel surfaces.
Acid distillation systems
The DuoPUR, SubPUR and Subclean are sub-boiling distillation systems that enable laboratories to produce ultra-pure acids from reagent-grade stock that can reduce costs by up to 90%.
- Up to 90% cost saving of ultra-pure acids by purifying low cost reagent grade acids
- High productivity, up to 3 litres in 8 hours
- Continuous supply of fresh high purity acids
- “On-demand” acid purification
- Re-purification of contaminated acids
- Single or double distillation upon on requirements
Acid cleaning system
Cleaning various accessories used in trace analysis work is a critically important laboratory routine. Traditional cleaning methods require soaking items in hot acids, often for several hours. Furthermore, generally effective, large volumes of acid are consumed and need to be changed regularly. There is also the risk of exposure to hot acids and acid vapours. Milestone’s new TraceCLEAN is an automated, closed, acid reflux system that thoroughly and safely cleans digestion vessels, inserts and AA, ICP, ICP-MS accessories. The main benefit of this system is that any trace metal contaminants that are present in the cleaning acid stay within the reservoir and do not come in contact with the cleaned trace accessories.
- Perfect for unattended cleaning of all TFM, PFA, glass, and quartz ultra-trace accessories, including microwave digestion vessels and ICP/ICP-MS accessories (torches, etc.)
- Only ultra-pure, acid vapours come in contact with the surface of the items to be cleaned
- Clean components do not remain in contact with the cleaning acids after the surface contamination is removed
- Items are cooled inside the TraceCLEAN assuring no airborne contamination
- Built-in exhaust/cooling reduces operator’s exposure to acid vapours
- Teflon racks and holders minimize handling of freshly cleaned items
- Automatic temperature control
- PTFE-coated stainless steel compartment assures system durability and prevents use-to-use contamination
THINK BLANK – Clean chemistry tools for atomic spectroscopy
Instrumental analysis has continuously evolved in the last decade and determination of trace elements is becoming a routine task in analytical laboratories. A laboratory must have full control of analytical blanks and sample preparation for obtaining accurate results. The application of instruments and strategies to control sample prep blank is often called a “Clean Chemistry” technique.
The THINK BLANK book discusses how to control contaminations and modern strategies for microwave assisted sample preparation. Topics include microwave digestion, evaporation, use of inserts for low sample amounts, and single vessel considerations